Friday, March 1, 2013

Help Thanks Wow

Title:  Help Thanks Wow
Author:  Anne Lamott
Publication Information:  Riverhead Books, Penguin Group. 2012. 102 pages.

Book Source:  I saw this book while browsing at Costco. I loved the simplicity of the idea.

Favorite Quote:  "I do not know much about God and prayer, but I have come to believe, over the past twenty-five years, that there's something to be said for keeping prayer simple. Help. Thanks. Wow."

Help. Thanks. Wow. Three simple words. Three powerful prayers. Anne Lamott's fundamental idea is that no matter how you believe in a God, a Higher Power and no matter what your creed, we all respond at times in our lives with a call for help, a recognition of what we receive, and an acknowledgement of wonder. It really is that simple. We may complicate it with history and circumstances, but the idea distills back down to those three words.

I am a little torn on how to rate the book for this reason - beautiful idea that did not need a book to elaborate on it. I love the idea of this book - the simplicity of it. I just don't know that it warranted an entire book - even  a short one as this one is. The beauty of the idea is that it's simple and does not require much explanation. I found the book wandering through anecdotes and seeming to ramble on.

So, take the idea, but forget the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment