Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Letter to My Daughter


Title:  Letter to My Daughter
Author:  Maya Angelou
Publication Information:  Random House, Inc. 2008. 108 pages.

Book Source:  I picked this book while browsing through the ebooks in the online library catalog.

Favorite Quote:  "The ship of my life may or may not be sailing on calm and amiable seas. The challenging days of my existence may or may not be bright and promising. Stormy or sunny days, glorious or lonely nights, I maintain an attitude of gratitude. If I insist on being pessimistic, there is always tomorrow. Today I am blessed."

Letter to My Daughter is a collection of short essays by Maya Angelou - bits of opinion and advice drawn from and explained using different incidents in her life. Maya Angelou gave birth to one son. Yet, this letter is to her daughter - or really daughters - each and every one of us.

The book itself is short and can easily be read in one sitting. Each essay is brief and can lend itself to a quick read here and there. A gentle, quick reminder of life lessons.

Each essay presents a glimpse into Maya Angelou's life and leaves us with a lesson for our own lives. Some of the stories are difficult - getting pregnant young, becoming a single parent, getting beat up, and more. Some are humorous like her not realizing cultural differences and walking on what would be the tablecloth at which guests would dine.

Many of anecdotes talk about mistakes she made and the lessons that derive from that. To speak in that manner and to reveal those aspects of yourself takes courage. This is the first work I have read by Maya Angelou. So, I enjoyed the lessons she presented and learning about her own life as well. This is a book I probably will re-read.

No comments:

Post a Comment